Friday, February 27, 2015

Back to Basics

As some of you may know, I have recently moved to The Bay Area - Oakland, to be more specific, or Oaktown - for all the cool kids out there... So far, I am loving it - but I am having a bit of a time trying to find my groove. Maybe it's that I'm still coming down from the holidays (and the move, sheesh! Never again!) but I'm taking a few steps in my life to tap back into my creative spirit. One of those steps is drawing for an hour a day. 

It is definitely a luxury, and one that is not always welcome. I don't exactly have an hour a day to draw, and I have to carve some specific time of the day out to do the actual drawing and I have to think about what I want to draw and not check my email (or look at Instagram...) However, over the past month I have found that once I get started, things just start happening. I may start off one way and end somewhere completely different, or I may just have a crap day and doodle for an hour literally counting down until I can stop and get back to work... 


a small sample of some of my drawings (or doodles...)

Maybe it's the fact that I've carved out the time and dedicated myself to a specific task, or maybe I just sink into some kind of a meditative state I'm in where I can let my thoughts just flow and be creative (whoa, that was soooooo California of me...), but I'm really glad I started doing it. I've tapped into some (potentially) good ideas that I'm going to explore in the coming year. 

So, for the time being I'll keep it up. In the meantime, I'll just have to keep enjoying all this amazing weather (sorry, folks back home) and eat all the delicious food and enjoy the amazing life that is living in California. 

No comments:

Post a Comment