Friday, February 22, 2013

La Petite Roche

Last weekend Jonathan (the hubbs, aka: Jonny), Cabe (the bro, aka: Chicken) and I scooted off the Little Rock, Arkansas for an overdue visit with family. I have a bunch of cousins, aunts, uncles (and even a sister!) who live there, so we hopped in the car for a good ole' family reunion, Little Rock Style.

We arrived a little after 11 on Saturday morning, so we decided to visit with my cousin at the Farmer's Market. You might remember my cousin Chris from Little Rock Urban Farming - he has an amazing urban farm right in the middle of the city where he grows just about everything - but, more on him later. Market was pretty much over when we got there, but Chris talked his friend into letting us try some of his delicious Pour Over Coffee while he packed up. What's Pour Over Coffee, you ask? Well, I'll tell ya' (since I had never heard of it either...) 



You have a device, shown above, where you inset a filter into the cone with the coffee and pour water over it so the coffee drips into the cup below. Pretty much what it sounds like, huh? Well, it was delicious and I was glad that Little Rock was able to hip me to something I didn't know about.  I don't know if the adorable tea pot is a requirement (all the photos online are shown with one), but I sure hope so.

After that we met up with my sister and 2 of my aunts and had lunch at The Capital Hotel followed by an afternoon walking tour of Little Rock. After we rested for a bit in the hotel room we met up with more cousins and had dinner at Sonny William Steak House and then out for a few drinks before we called it a night. 

The next morning we had brunch at the farm, which was probably my favorite part of the trip. 


What Chris has created with Little Rock Urban Farming is truly amazing. He has converted an nearly useless piece of land in the middle of the city to a fully functioning farm that has 2 greenhouses as well as other outdoor crops and flowers.  He also has multiple chickens and 1 rather saucy roosted named ShadyNasty (long story), and (see the picture below) he is planning on cleaning all that overgrown junk by the creek and planing fruit trees in the Spring! It's really quite an accomplishment and I am so proud of him!


LRUF's own mascot: Ruby Sue. She was totally adorable and I almost let her come home with me. But then I thought that stealing my cousins dog would be kind of tacky...


Two of the greenhouses on the property and we gathered up eggs from the chickens for brunch!


We had a delicious meal of fresh salad and eggs with homemade biscuits (thanks, Jonny!) and freshly juiced beet-and-carrot juice (which was supper yum). Side note:  I now I want a juicer. Probably not going to get one, because they are a thousand dollars and I'll never use it - but that juice was really delicious!

 
L to R: Jonny, Elle (my sis!), me, Chicken, Cousin Ashley and Cousin Chris.

Overall it was a great trip - and Chris gave us some fresh eggs as well and some pickled jalapeƱos and red peppers to take home. Now I can't wait to go back this summer when more of the crops will be harvesting!




No comments:

Post a Comment